We already had posts in the past about the debug settings in the second life viewer, see also the posts of Bella March referring the Renderglow and silent snapshots, but this one is also very interesting. Torley Linden posted it, and I want to share some with you. What I am interested in is of course the Windlight setting, but also the type animation. Nothing so annoying with a model who is typing while you are taking snapshots, even if you can freeze the frame.
I only take a few:
- AutoLogin - Set this to TRUE to skip the login screen and automatically login using the last-entered username & password. Good for convenience, easier than using the shortcut command-line method (and if you don't know what that is, all the more reason to try this out). For privacy reasons, you generally will not want to use this on a shared computer.
- NotifyBoxColor and GroupNotifyBoxColor - Not in love with the blue shade of popup dialogs? You can click the Color swatch for this debug setting to change it. Lowering the Alpha value will make the boxes transparent. Try solid green (RGB of 0, 255, 0) with Alpha = 128 for a sci-fi tinge. And since these are separate values, you can make generic popup dialogs and group Notices different colors!
- PinTalkViewOpen - Don't like to get into long Instant Message sessions? Ever want to make it so pressing Enter in an IM window automatically closes it and focuses on the inworld chat bar (if it's open). This is the setting for you! Note: this doesn't work quite right on detached IM tabs.
- PlayTypingAnim - Ever want to disable that typing animation and sound that plays every time you start text-chatting? Setting this to FALSE is your answer. Very, very useful — watch the Video Tutorial!
- RenderDynamicReflections - Ever wanted to see "real mirrors" in Second Life? This will make shiny objects reflect their environment. Be careful, this is an unsupported graphics feature that will crash some systems, and not work as expected on others. It personally doesn't work well for me.
- RenderGlow - "Makes light sources glow." Good for lightsabers, plasma weapons, and other ethereal effects. This will be a standard and supported build parameter as of the WindLight viewer.
- ZoomTime - This has some cinematic usages good for filming machinima with. Set it to 10 seconds, then try to Alt-zoom around. Or go into Mouselook. Higher numbers will make the camera behavior smoother, lower numbers will make it more responsive.
- RenderDynamicLOD - Stuff retains its detail when you zoom out. Terrain will be as smooth as it is when viewed up-close. This comes at a performance cost, tho, and I've noticed weirdness with stuff staying stuck at lower Levels of Draw.
- RenderUseFarClip - Slows performance but lets you see further away with the same draw distance. Excellent to toggle on while making richly-detailed shots.