Thursday, December 6, 2007

How to....manage your IM in SL

As I posted yesterday, I am registered at Rezzed.Net, a social network for Second Life residents. And there you have, on the homepage, the possibility to post some blog entries as well.
Now, there was a small article from Thaumata Strangelove, about her being offline in Second life, when she is in fact online.;))

Do you have sometimes the urge to disregard your IM's, but you don't want to be rude to your correspondent? Well here is your answer.

- First, you edit preferences and change your busy message to Second Life: User not online - message will be stored and delivered later.

- Then, just kick on busy mode and uncheck that person from your communications list. If they send you an IM, you will still see it, but they will get the message that says you're offline.

I hope that you won't use this method a lot, and in this way, I should perhaps be glad that my blog is not the most viewed one, because.....can you imagine if everyone will use this trick?
Thaumata even says she uses this a lot, and that is a quite frightening thing to do, but sometimes necessary, I presume.
Hilariously, a side effect of this is that she somehow managed to get an email which states that she sent herself an offline message which states that she is offline. It's like some kind of weird SL fractal. Neat.

2 comments:

Zippora Zabelin said...

This trick will probably work, but not for the more persistent amongst us...
If you open someone's profile you can also see if he/she is online in the upper right corner, though I'm not sure if that works when you have disabled to see online status. I would have to try that...
You also can see somebody's online status when you share a group. If you look in the group-info you can see all groupmembers and their online status. This will always work.

Looker Lumet said...

I know, but are they all so persistant as you are?;))
I am not, when someone is offline, she/he is offline. That is it.;)